Pepper Jelly Streusel Pastries
These delicate yet tasty streusel pastries feature our Zack's Habanero Pepper Jelly.
For more great recipes and award-winning jellies, jams, sauces, and more visit us at www.southerncityflavors.com
- 4/5 cup Flour
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Light cream
- 2 large Egg yolks
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Zack's Habanero Pepper Jelly
- 2 Tbsp. Almonds, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 cup Butter, chilled
- 17 1/4 oz. Puff pastry, thawed
- As needed Confectioner's sugar
- To prepare filling, in a heavy saucepan, mix together 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add cream; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Whisk together egg yolks. Gradually whisk 1 cup of hot cream mixture into yolks. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture in pan, whisking constantly. Increase heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour filling into a medium bowl. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat over to 450 degrees F. Grease 2 baking sheets. To prepare streusel, mix together remaining flour, sugar, nuts, and nutmeg. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- On a floured surface, unfold pastry sheets. Using a floured rolling pin, flatten pastry sheets slightly, making sure fold creases are smooth. Place 1 sheet of pastry on each prepared baking sheet. Pierce pastry sheet all over with a fork.
- Sprinkle streusel over 1 pastry sheet. Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer sheets to wire racks to cool. Spread filling on plain pastry sheet.
- Spread Zack's Habanero Pepper Jelly on underside of streusel-covered pastry sheet; place, crumb-side up, on top of filling; press down slightly. Cut pastry sheets crosswise into 8 equal rectangles. Dust with confectioners sugar.